1. Choose the Release Date: You should always start your release campaign by choosing your release date and creating an organised timeline to keep on track of your plan. Once you have chosen your release date, you need to submit your music to a distributor at least 2 weeks before your release date, although we recommend doing so 6-8 weeks in advance of the release as Spotify prefers a 4 week lead up when submitting a track for an editorial playlist. This is important because it takes roughly 2 weeks for the submission to go through and be published live to streaming services. We recommend using distributors such as CD Baby, DistroKid, or TuneCore.
2. Get Your Pre-Save Link: It is important to get a pre save link from Spotify as it means that your fans are immediately saving your song on release day and streaming it. You can set up a pre-save on Spotify by using platforms such as SmartURL, Toneden or Hyperfollow. The reason why pre-saves are so important is because Spotify's algorithm will see that your music is getting streams from the release day and they will start pushing it out further and it could get put on an editorial playlist.
3. Submit to Spotify via Spotify For Artists: If you use one of Spotify's preferred distributors which are CD Baby and Distrokid to submit your new music, Spotify will give you immediate access to Spotify For Artists. As we have mentioned, you ideally should submit your song 4 weeks before the release date.
4. Create Your Promo Videos: It is recommended that artists plan their video production in advance of the release and create 3 videos for each song. These videos should include a lyric video, a produced music video, and a behind the scenes video. These promo videos are extremely effective for post release to further promote your new music and reach more fans. However, if you have a minimal budget, you can eliminate the produced music video to save money. Rotor Videos is a great example of an affordable service you can create videos quickly with the help of AI.
5. Email Marketing: We recommend that you plan your email campaigns and send out at least 3 emails to your fans to increase the momentum around your release and post-release. These emails can include an announcement of when the release will go live, an email on the release day, and an email for each music video. You can use Mailchimp or HubSpot to manage your mailing list and send out scheduled emails.
6. Social Media Marketing: Social promotion is extremely important to reach your fans and expand your network. You should make sure that your socials are all up to date with relevant information. We recommend that you publish announcement posts to keep your audience engaged and informed of your latest news. You should always have links to your music and include both, image and video content along with your pre-save link. It is also suggested that you keep the posts short and engaging. Using all of social media’s features to increase your visibility is also important such as stories, IGTV, live streams, reels and hashtags. Making a content calendar and creating your social media posts in advance is highly recommended. You can use tools like Airtable to come up with great content calendars.
7. PR & Features: You need to plan your features in publications before your release date as extra promotion with your announcements and also post release date. You should pitch your music to music blogs, magazines and radio stations to get more visibility for your new music. If you are writing your press release yourself, you should have at least 2, one for the music and one for the videos. You can do PR yourself, hire a PR agent or use a platform like TuneRelease to pitch your release.
This might seem like a lot of work, but all you need to do is repeat the process again for your next release. Once you start to get the hang of it and plan in advance, you will start to see your music take off!
If you would like to see more guides on topics close to your heart then let us know and we will happily create content to help you accelerate your journey.Contact Us